Friday, November 12, 2010

Photo of the Week: watch me ramble in Con Law

At the risk of making myself look like a totally self-absorbed narcissist, I am sharing a video that I shot in our Constitutional Law class this afternoon while I discussed a really interesting case about the practice of forced sterilization from the 1920s. Really interesting, that is, until I watched myself stumble and mumble through the facts afterward. If you are thinking about law school, however, this is what you are going to be doing for three years: reading cases all day long, then being called on randomly in class and asked to recite the case and perhaps some small nugget of legal wisdom. It's called the Socratic method. And even after 18 months of it, you can see that my technique could use a little work.
For most law students, there is simply no way to avoid some variation on the below video. On some days you will sound brilliant. On many other days you will sound, well, less than brilliant. Like a lot of things in law school, this video was a humbling experience. I realized, for example, that compared to our Con Law professor, Enid Trucios-Haynes, my speaking ability and grasp of the law have a long way to go. Fortunately, she is gracious and patient with all of us, which is common among the faculty here at U of L, and one of the many reasons that I enjoy law school here. This video also made me realize that it's a lot harder to speak in class when you are fiddling with a bunch of buttons on your laptop. At any rate, have a great weekend. See you on Monday.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks. You should video yourself doing Planned Parenthood v. Casey next week, and we'll compare how awful we both are.

    ReplyDelete