Friday, October 30, 2009

Tommy Ramone plays Louisville


Since law school started in August, my social calendar has more or less evaporated. Weekly nights out with the guys have been all but forgotten, and I can't remember the last time my wife and I got a babysitter and went out for dinner. This is part of the law school syndrome. One of my third-year friends told me recently that, at the end of each year, he learns that his friends or family members had children, got married or started new jobs months earlier.
The work load makes us oblivious to our surroundings, and that's too bad in a city like Louisville, where there's always something happening. Last night, for instance, I decided to blow off studying and accompany some friends to Zanzabar, a hip club on S. Preston St. with a gritty film noire atmosphere. The lead act was a bluegrass band with Tommy Ramone(see my cell phone photo), the last surviving member of The Ramones, playing mandolin. There are scores of other great venues in Louisville. And thanks to Kentucky's generous liquor licensing laws, there are bars on almost every street corner in many of the city's urban neighborhoods. A few of my favorite watering holes:

  • Nachbar, 969 Charles St. in Germantown
  • Cumberland Brews, 1576 Bardstown Road, Highlands
  • Rudyard Kipling, 422 W. Oak St., Old Louisville
  • Frankfort Avenue Beer Depot, 3204 Frankfort Ave., Crescent Hill
  • O'Shea's Irish Pub, 956 Baxter Ave., Original Highlands

No comments:

Post a Comment